Sunday, December 28, 2014

NFL Partners With Sabra Forming An Unlikely Team

At the close of this NFL regular season, I find it necessary to elaborate on something I have been thinking about for the better half of the year.

Sabra Hummus is now the "Official Dip Sponsor of the NFL". They have branded the game that I love, and it has subsequently made me feel some hummotions I am struggling with.
As some of you may know, I am not a huge fan of Sabra Hummus. It's generic, bland, and offers nothing that your standard hummus doesn't. It is utterly mediocre. But it is still hummus...

To see that logo slapped onto the face of some of my favorite NFL stadiums and team gear makes me sad. While I love that hummus is getting so much exposure, I just wonder why couldn't they have chosen a different brand?

Why not an Athenos? Why not Trader Joe's? Why not sponsor cricket, or soccer, or whatever it is they play in the Middle East? (I'm not being insensitive I really just don't know). Isn't hummus like Gatorade over there?

Like a kid in a candy shop
On the other hand I am LOVING it. One of my favorite foods in the world is now the official dip sponsor of America's most popular sport! Next thing you know, Tom Brady will throw a touchdown pass and jog off the field to take a nice big bite of his favorite hummus to celebrate. Who knows, maybe Adrian Peterson never would have whipped his kid if he'd known he could get free hummus out of his NFL contract?

What's more, Sabra is sponsoring the "Ultimate Tailgating Sweepstakes" to enter to win a trip to the 2016 Pro Bowl in Hawaii! Granted, the Pro Bowl is the most pointless all star game ever, but Hawaii is fun, right?!

Sabra is even offering trendy new tailgating recipes for the most hardcore fans around, including: Spicy Hummus Quinoa Falafel and Fried Green Tomatillos. And nothing screams die-hard NFL fan like Asian Salad Hummus Flatbread! That's just what Raider fans in the Black Hole need to give them enough energy to pee on opposing fans!

While I am not the biggest fan of Sabra, I respect what they have done integrating themselves in the NFL and attempting to draw more attention to a food that so many are passionate about, myself included. Watch out for Sabra in the coming months! They already own 60% of the hummarket share of hummus sales, making them by far and away the leader in all things chickpea.

As a thought leader in this industry, I foresee the hummercialization of hummus growing faster than it ever has before. This could be just what my favorite dip needs to ascend to the next level, maybe even contending with ranch dressing and bean dip in the near future. Big things are happening people, I just need to know... ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTB.... I MEAN HUMMUS?!

No comments:

Post a Comment